So today, around 1 pm, I got on the el to go to the library. Two stops later, a woman gets on in the opposite facing seat, so if I glance up from the cheerful reading that is my Vietnam classwork, we will make eye contact.
First, she begins to feed her nearly naked toddler. Spaghetti-o's from the looks of it. What struck me as odd, besides the fact that maybe both of them should be more appropriately dressed for public was that the woman would take a bite, then feed her child a bite. Um, 1-that's not actually food. 2- If you are not a child, why are you eating your child's food?
Then, after lunch was complete, her friend came in with her child, and they all began to talk. And the woman then takes her child out of the stroller and bathes her with diaper wipes. What the hell is going on? And I can't stare, because I'm in the awkward eye catching seat. And I am not old enough to sufficiently shame someone with a meaningful glare.
Eight stops later and the girl has had her full toilette completed. She is now wearing shoes and a diaper and her mother drags her off the subway.
Why do you find that normal? Why would you subject others to seeing that you don't have it together? No one else does, but at least we dress ourselves and whatever other humans we are responsible for before we leave the fucking house. Then other people think we know what is going on and we're responsible adults, at least for a little bit.
First, she begins to feed her nearly naked toddler. Spaghetti-o's from the looks of it. What struck me as odd, besides the fact that maybe both of them should be more appropriately dressed for public was that the woman would take a bite, then feed her child a bite. Um, 1-that's not actually food. 2- If you are not a child, why are you eating your child's food?
Then, after lunch was complete, her friend came in with her child, and they all began to talk. And the woman then takes her child out of the stroller and bathes her with diaper wipes. What the hell is going on? And I can't stare, because I'm in the awkward eye catching seat. And I am not old enough to sufficiently shame someone with a meaningful glare.
Eight stops later and the girl has had her full toilette completed. She is now wearing shoes and a diaper and her mother drags her off the subway.
Why do you find that normal? Why would you subject others to seeing that you don't have it together? No one else does, but at least we dress ourselves and whatever other humans we are responsible for before we leave the fucking house. Then other people think we know what is going on and we're responsible adults, at least for a little bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment