Nerd crush forever. This last election, I was so stressed for 18 months before hand, that Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight and his love of math were my Prozac. It rapidly became my most opened tab on Chrome.. Five times a day, not including when I would see him on television, explaining this radical concept called math and how it affects our lives. Luckily, he was right about nearly everything.

His love of math and baseball led to him developing PECOTA (Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm, if you care) as a hobby, which he then sold to MLB and made drafting players for you fantasy league so much simpler. That's right, he quit a well paying job so he could make fantasy baseball stats more reliable. Swoon.
We didn't hear about him much in 2008, because he missed one state in the election, but after 2012, he became a (liberal) household name. He also spawned #NateSilverFacts and #DrunkNateSilver. The man is a meme!
He's not a bad ass, but he is Lord and G-d of the algorithm. And

I almost wish it were election time again, just so I could listen to him talk about algorithms and probability on my favorite shows again. But with baseball season among us, and DOMA in the Supreme Court, until then I'll just read his blog and dream. It's unlikely that we'll ever be together, well, because we're both gay. Although, he does look like a cute queer girl sometimes. Hmmmmm.
Maybe I'll just email him and ask what the probability of us dating is.
-Jen

No comments:
Post a Comment